Please read through this guide, the reading is not long, and it may answer the majority of your questions regarding the website's functionality.
To get started at comicad.net you first must register an account. Please note that the information gathered at registration process will only be used to create/access your account, thus for internal purposes only. The username is the name by which you'll known to the other users, so choose it carefully, sticking to a single username is a good policy. The email and password are the credentials that will be used to login to your account, they are private and you're encouraged to not share them on messages/bios or any other public accessible pages on the web.
After you successfully register, you'll have to verify your account using the code sent to your email address.
After you complete the verification process, you can use your account normally. Please note that you must repeat the verification process every-time your email address is updated.
THE "MY ACCOUNT" SECTION
By clicking the button with your name on the top navigation bar (dropdown menu in case you're on a mobile device) you can access your "my account" section which contains the tools for advertising and/or publishing ads along with some customization and statistics. Below you have a brief explanation about each tab's purpose:
- Profile - A quick overview of your profile, some key statistics and useful links. In this section you can change your public profile's avatar and banner along with your bio details. You have buttons to access the "add funds" and "withdrawal" pages, which allow you to inject or extract money from your balance. You also have buttons to visit the public profile other users see, and a preview of your trophy list. At the bottom, you have the "daily/monthly/all time" statistics, each one with a comprehensive chart.
- Ads - Like the name says, this section allows the creation of ads, no matter the purpose they will serve for. Note that by creating an ad alone you'll be already advertising your site since ads are automatically displayed on available free slots across the network. Ads can also be used to perform bids or exchanges. By using the main search you can find available sites for each purpose. Unlike bids, you cannot use an ad to exchange directly, you must first assign the ad to an exchange unit and then use that unit in the exchange, so, to exchange, you also need a website of your own.
- Bids & Exchanges - The two following tabs are very similar, so, they're listed here together, these two sections list your bid and exchange entries. They also list incoming requests in case any of your units require approval, you have the option to accept/reject these. The only difference relies in the fact that you'll always have listed all exchanges, either started by you or not (simply because they're bi-directional). On the other hand, the bids section only displays bids initiated by you, the ones initiated by other users only appear in your sites section (and on those users bid lists of-course)
- Settings - In this section you can update your account details and/or choose options to suit your preferences.
SEARCH / COMIC PROFILES / USER PROFILES
These 3 sections are interlinked, you can navigate them to find places to bid/exchange (you can also bid/exchange directly on any of them). A brief explanation about them:
- Main page's Search - Use to find the list of sites with available bid/exchange spots.
- Comic profiles - The public profile of a comic website. Use this page to preview the website statistics, available units, the ads currently running and perform exchanges/bids. This page allows the creation of ads in case you don't have an ad of a particular format.
- User Profiles - User bio details, list of available websites / units along with other key statistics.
It's possible to send messages to other users using the Contact and Private Messages sections. Use Contact page to reach an administrator: issue reports, content reports, questions and other similar subjects. Use Private Messages to send a message to other user.
NOTIFICATIONS / NEWS
Get in touch with the website's latest news or the events related to your account.
BIDDING / EXCHANGING
There are two methods for bidding/exchanging:
- The main search/user profile "Auto" buttons: bid/exchange with just two clicks.
- The "comic profile" page: Reach this pages by following the links on "main search", "user profiles" or "main page", and fill the form in order to bid/exchange.
The main difference between the two methods is that auto buttons will choose one ad for you (the most recent), on the other hand, by using the form, you can choose the ad yourself. As long you don't want to choose a different ad/amount/period, auto buttons will do. You can configure auto button values/behavior on your profile settings.
To post a bid, your bid value must at least match the unit's min. bid value or be higher than the "to beat" bid in case bids exist. You account balance must also be able to handle the "daily bid load" (monetary sum of all your running bids for each day)
To post an exchange you must have an unit with a non-zero "DAV", higher or equal to the publisher unit's min. "DAV" requirement in case it exists. To set a min. "DAV" requirement on your own unit, that unit must possess a "DAV" equal or higher than the requirement itself.
Bids are "Pay per display time" payments. The quotas are periodic payments sent from advertisers to publishers, once per day, until the bid period expires. If a user bids $0.01 for 10 days, it means that user will pay the publisher $0.01/day and a total of $0.10 in 10 days. If a bid is interrupted (cancelled/out of funds) the pending quota amount is calculated (up to 1000th of a cent) and the partial quota is sent to the publisher. the first Quota is only taken 24h after the bid start. A bid is only collected if the respective ad had at least 10 pageviews or 1 click in the last daily period, if not, it's postponed for the next period (roll-over).
- Normal quota: quotas that result from a normal daily period, equals to the bid value.
- Null/zero quota : The calculated amount is smaller than the system's smallest monetary unit, thus it's discarded.
- Partial quota: quotas that result from sudden events (cancellations, outbids, out of funds). Calculated as follows: ((bid_value/86400)*run_period), if null quota, it's discarded.
- Roll-over quota: quotas that fail to meet the minimum requirement of 10 views and 1 click on the last period, roll-over to the next period.
DAV & MAV
- DAVs are standalone numbers that may refer to a site, an ad unit or a user, they update once a day (once per hour on the first 24h) and give other users an idea of how much traffic a website gets (on its own domain, not at comicad.net).
They represent the daily average user views (or unit impressions) in the last 7 days (or in the last X completed days, if the website is newer then 7 days).
Units which "DAV" is zero are not eligible to receive bids or post/receive exchanges after 24h of its registration, it means every time you create an ad unit, it has a period of 24h to give the other users a preview of the traffic it receives, if past this period the "DAV" remains zero, it must wait 1 day for the "DAV" to update and thus be available for bids/exchanges.
Each unit "DAV" is independent and the parent site's "DAV" is the average of all its units "DAV"s. These numbers try to be as much impartial as possible, so, the visits of users associated with the ad unit or its ads are excluded.
DAV numbers may be represented as "-" (zero/first 24h), as a gray number (younger than 24h) or as a blue number (older than 24h, non zero)
- DAV's also are displayed on user profiles, there, the DAV represents the average views of all units/sites owned by the user.
- MAV are monthly average views and are only displayed on user profiles, they represent the average views of the last 2 completed months. They're similar to "DAV", but with larger time samples.
Automatic ad display "Auto Ads"
By default, all ads are eligible for being displayed automatically on available free slots across the network. There are some exceptions though:
- Units which require approval, have a min. bid above $0.00, are not available for new submissions or that explicitly deny automatic ad display, do not display ads automatically.
- Ads that link to an adult R18+ website are not automatically displayed on units that do not accept such ads.
- Ads will not display automatically if the user already has a presence on the unit (is the unit owner; already bidding/exchanging)
- Ads from users who explicitly disable automatic display.
Paypal charges a variable fee (2.9% to 3.9%) plus a fixed USD $0.30 of all added/withdrawn funds, so, the amount added/withdrawn to/from the account balance will be slightly smaller than the initial payment value.
Comicad.net charges a 3% fee of every bid transaction in order to cover the domain/host service expenses. We take the commission from the in-between transactions, which allows the user's account balance to be available for bidding/withdrawal free of charges.
IMAGE UPLOAD GUIDELINES
ALL IMAGES uploaded to Comicad.net (ads or otherwise) must follow the image upload guidelines (which can be read below), and also adhere the rules and guidelines described in our Terms of Service.
EXAMPLES OF ALL AGES (SFW) ADS
The ad examples above represent what are generally accepted as SFW (Safe for work) ads on Comicad.net. Safe for work meaning there is no sexually explicit imagery and/or nudity present in the ad, or an obscene amount of gore.
Image ads targeting a more mature audience (with a rating of mature) may depict violent and suggestive themes within reason (no racist imagery and/or text, sexually explicit imagery, nudity, or obscene amounts of gore).
EXAMPLES OF REJECTED ADS
Image ads regardless of rating must not contain sexually explicit imagery and/or nudity. Ads that are targeting a mature audience or ads that link to adult R18+ websites may contain "sexy" or "suggestive" poses and show off some skin (some examples would be bathing suits or underwear), but must not contain nudity or explicit sexual acts. Images depicting minors in any suggestive manner is absolutely not acceptable and will result in an account suspension and/or ban.
Ads containing imagery (and/or text descriptions) of extreme gore, racist imagery and/or text, or any suggestive themes/poses depicting minors are not allowed and are strictly prohibited.
EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTABLE ADS
The ads above are an example of acceptable image content for a mature audience (or ads that link to R18+ websites). Cropping a lewd image to remove nudity is fine, so long as it follows the image upload guidelines.
Some helpful tips to ensure your ads are accepted and eligible to run on our network. If your ad image contains sexually explicit acts or nudity, then crop it out or add clothing. Some explicit poses become suggestive when clothing is applied. There are some exceptions, but if the genitals and breasts (areola and nipples) are covered (not censored with mosaic) and you followed the image upload guidelines, you are safe to upload.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For additional information regarding image rules and guidelines and please visit our terms of service section.